12 April 2011

Being understood is highly taken for granted, in my humble opinion. I don't mean the simple act of getting what someone is saying, logically speaking. I'm talking about that deeper level of understanding not only the statement made but also feeling the heart where it comes from. In our lifetime, we will all meet countless people who understand the words we say. But how many people will we truly connect with? How many people will know the words we're thinking - good, bad or indifferent - before they are even formed in our minds? Precious few.

Not to totally digress here, but this is one of my main issues with the whole "social network" culture we live in today. People have hundreds of "friends" who feel like they know them just because they can read a 2 sentence brain fart posted for all the world to see. But in reading someone's fleeting thoughts, in "liking" those thoughts or even in leaving a witty comment for all the world to see - we're not even scratching the surface.

Give me a real community any day. Keep the hundreds who will observe me from afar and give me 6 people to sit around a table and talk about nothing and everything over a meal together. Keep the many who will applaud me for taking a risk and give me the few who will step off the edge with me.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for letting me be part of your life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Word.
    I was just hinking about how today is my birthday and I'm getting all these neat little happy birthday facebook things. But... most of those people wouldn't know my birthday if facebook didn't put that on the side of their newsfeed. most of those people don't even talk to me. just observe. AND how many people do I do that to?
    eesh :/

    ReplyDelete
  3. p.s. hi tim! ethan gave me the link to your new blog. :)

    ReplyDelete