20 January 2012

And now a list of television programs that I've watched on Netflix in the past several months and have enjoyed immensely. (Note: I am not recommending you watch them or don't watch them, as there is no accounting for some peoples' taste or ethics when it comes to such things.)

Doctor Who (Most recent incarnation) - Really loved the first doctor (Christopher Eccleston). Second doctor (David Tennant), I wasn't sure about at first but I really came to enjoy him. Now I'm up to one season with the third doctor and I'm pretty sure I can do without him. Taking a much more teenaged/twenty-something spin. Only time will tell, though.

Torchwood - Actually watched this before I watched the Doctor, but I recommend doing so in the other order because it will make so much more sense this way. (Torchwood is a spinoff of Doctor Who.) Netflix has the regular seasons, the "Children of Earth" mini series and the "Miracle Day" series that aired just this past year on Starz. It loses a bit when you add in a bunch of American actors and sensibilities, but still is enjoyable.

Breaking Bad - After seeing it lavished with awards for several years, I finally decided to give this show a shot. It truly deserves all of the fanfare it receives. Superb acting, if not the most redeeming plot line. I keep wanting Walter to be a better man.

Mad Men - Same thoughts as Breaking Bad, really. It truly deserves all the hype. The characters are so rich and provocative. And also much like Breaking Bad, I want Don to be a better man. Glimpses of hope at the end of the most recently available season. But I'm not holding my breath or anything.

Sons of Anarachy - Okay, there is most certainly a theme here. Horrible values, deep character development and a lead character that you just want to be better than he is or continues to be. Jax has the most hope of the past three, I'd say. But if you have a show about a motorcycle gang that really just rides motorcycles and doesn't run guns or beat people up - isn't that just American Chopper?

White Collar - Two episodes into this series, currently. I feel like I'm going to enjoy it. Maybe not quite the gritty drama that the previous few have been, but I guess I'm due to a little bit of levity at this point!

No comments:

Post a Comment