13 February 2012

Melissa and I went to dinner and a movie (not necessarily in that order) this afternoon for a pre-Valentines day date, since I'm working on the actual day tomorrow. We ended up seeing this movie:



I was not unfamiliar with the story, having previously read the book shortly after it came out.



I'd like to say that I picked the book because I'm deeply in tune with the literary pipeline, but really it was because Amazon recommended it for fans of JD Salinger. And, truly, it did appeal to me in the same way that Catcher in the Rye did. But somehow this book connected on such a deeper level. Probably because it was based on something that I lived through - even if indirectly, in the grand scheme of things.

Which brings me to the main topic I want to write about today.

There's been lots of people voicing opinions about how the book and/or the movie are in poor taste or somehow are profiteering off of the tragedy of 9/11. For once, I'm on the non cynical side of the argument, though. I think these kinds of stories are important. I mean, that's kind of the whole point of this book, when you get right down to it. Those who lost loved ones on September 11th (or any other day, really) won't ever wake up one morning and suddenly realize they're over it. But through telling their story - just like Oscar does in this particular tale - they slowly figure out how to heal from their wounds enough to go on living and making new stories.

There are so many stories that were born on that fateful morning 10+ years ago. If the way that some choose to express their feelings from that day is in fictional tales of people who found a way to go on living on September 12th, then I see no harm or exploitation in that.

This story is difficult. This story is raw. This story is graphic. But this story is hopeful. And this story is respectful. And this story celebrates life.

May all of our worst days be turned into something so beautiful in the days that follow them.

2 comments:

  1. great post - i agree completely! I didn't see the movie but I felt the book was more about dealing with loss and less about 9/11.

    Another book on the subject (the best I've read yet by far) is called "The Submission" about people choosing an anonymous design for a memorial for ground zero, then learning he is Muslim

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting. Is this a true story? I'll have to check it out.

      Delete