04 May 2012

May 4 - "Fun!!!"


Woah. It's Friday night and I actually did something that could be classified as "fun" to someone other than people who think sitting on the couch and watching Fringe is fun. (Which, judging by the fact that it's been uncertain whether or not it would be cancelled after this season, isn't too many.) But I digress.

Tonight we had a fundraiser at our church called "Quizzo With A Heart". $15 a head to play and all proceeds go to  Love 146 - an organization of modern day abolitionists. No booze, which I'm pretty sure is what usually makes Quizzo awesome, but it was still pretty fun.

When it came time to pick a team name, we decided to give a nod to this weekend being the release of The Avengers - especially since our team happened to have 6 members! (For the non-nerds: There are six members of the Avengers in the new movie - The Hulk, Thor, Captain America, Iron Man, Black Widow & Hawkeye.) To add a small degree of wit, I did a take on the tag line "Avengers Assemble" and named our team, "Avengers.. resemble?" Again, I'm pretty sure anyone who isn't a nerd wouldn't get this at all. But I did. Draw your own conclusion.

There was word of a "best dressed team" award, so of course we dressed up. As our friend Christi (Black Widow) put it - not actual costumes, but kind of like the Power Rangers when they went to school. Some of us got a little more into it than others, as evidenced by this photo of my lovely wife wearing a collander with wings taped to it. Those big green fists and my (kelly green) Eagles throwback jersey were my take on The Hulk.

(One last word to the geeks: Thor with hulk fists? What is she, a Skrull?!)

Obviously, we won the best dressed award. Which was a small consolation considering it's a trivia contest and I consider myself a pretty trivial guy. We did not win the trivia contest part. Though, in fairness, I did get some pretty obscure answers correct and our team (thanks to myself and Ms. Jessica Scott) swept the "Movies of the 90's" category - which is pretty much validation of an entire decade of my life.

Hope you had half as much fun tonight!

No comments:

Post a Comment